Here come the VG Crisis Tracker
This crisis tracker is based on two previous works: one from Rami Ismail (is2020over.com) and a research I have started on the history of controversies within the video game industry. As I observe that crisis are more and more frequent in the game industry, I need to keep on tracking them in order to analyse how they are embedded in longer and deeper controversies. If one crisis is missing, feel free to contact me on Twitter. ■
- 25th : The creative director of Scavengers studio is accused of harrassment and toxic behaviours, contrasting with the inclusive discourse of its new game: « Season ».
- 27th : GameStop Market shares explose because Reddit users are gaming the Wall Street system
- 2nd : Gamers became angry because BioWare decided to express their artistic vision over problematic butt shots in the Remasters of Mass Effect.
- 7th : Ubisoft has been criticized as half of the cosmetic armors in AC Valhalla are available through microtransactions.
- 9th : CDProjekt declared on twitter that the company has ironically been under cyber attack. The loss of data may trigger new controversies in the future.
- 11th : 6 days in Fallujah, a game about war crimes comitted by the United-States of America, is announce to be released in 2021.